About Just Jen!

Highland, Ut
Joyfully married to Pete. We have 6 incredible kids. 5 girls and 1 boy!! I live a simple life, in a simple home..drive a simple car..etc. etc. and thats the way I like it! I'm surrounded by lots of family. 16 siblings and all of our kids together ,.as of now.. a total of 35 kids and 3 on the way. Of course Music is our life...but other than that I love the outdoors,...camping, hiking, site seeing etc. Reading,.playing around with my kids...traveling by car...singing with my sisters,...and so much more!

Sunday, June 1, 2008

thinking Choir...


If you've never had this calling,..let me tell you...it is tough. At first I was quite upset,..and thought I shouldn't have been called just because they know I sing..and or come from a musical family...I know NOTHING of music..or musicality...I JUST SING...thats it...

so anyhow..I've had this calling (ward choir director) for a year now..and surprisingly I've enjoyed it and have learned alot...I've learned alot NOT in the musical sense...but in the 'people' sense. I have an amazing group who I think come just to support and would rather be home Sunday afternoons then at practice...then there's some who I 'think' look at me and say in their heads...'poor girl is trying too hard'..or 'what in the world is she thinking'....I'll go home sometimes with peoples facial expressions molded in my head and I just think I better call the bishop and resign....

buttt I personally view and believe callings really ARE given by inspiration from the Lord...and so I still hold on..hoping to learn what I need to,.. even when its completely OUT of my comfort box and when I say 'out of my comfort box' I mean soooo uncomfortable you feel like 'hmmm...honey didn't you say you always wanted to move to Southern Utah?'...and you just don't want to show up at church....all of a sudden your not feeling so well....you start to think negative thoughts....I guess thats part of the challenge...

...well...I'm just glad it's summer and Choir is on hold til the fall...I hope by then I'll be able to come back renewed and inspired with what the Lord would really have me do. If youve heard anything good that I've accomplished so far with the ward (there has been some special/emotional moments)..I can honestly tell you..its ALL the Lord and absolutely not coming from me..or my mind...thank goodness he's been willing to step in and give strength and inspiration when I've needed it most!!!

5 comments:

Lyla And Company! said...

I had this calling and had to pick myself up off from the floor cause I was laughing sooo hard when my bishop extended it to me! I mean, I can't even read notes! helllooooo!!!!! But, like you I totally surprised myself and did an ok job I think. I stuck to hymns I was very familiar with and just changed some things around and fortunately I had a great pianist who was willing to do whatever! so enjoy your summer off but just be thinking of more fun things for the holidays!!

Katharine Wolfgramm Wilson said...

Hi sis,

When it comes to callings,I imagine our Heavenly Father with a very good sense of humor! But I too, have felt so far that all the callings I've had are so not me, but in the end I've grown spiritually...As our Bishop shared his testimony today, he mentioned that the only 2 things that we will take with us when we leave this life is our Knowledge (whether spiritual or secular) and our Families..that just hit me...so as I was just released from being the Enrichment Board Leader today I was also called and sustained today as one of the new Relief Society Teachers (under the 1st counselor's direction of Homemaking/Education) now tell me, I have never got up and taught a lesson in Relief Society or anywhere else for that matter...so as I nervously accept the Lord's invitation to this calling I need to pray for the strength and confidence that I will need to stand up in front of the whole RS and teach them...So, ironic that I at one point in time of my life could perform in front of millions of people,yet my stomach is still turning from the thought of having to do my first lesson next Sunday..so from one of your older sisters, I'm cheering you on with your calling as I hope you'll do the same for me and I'm sure we'll have many stories to share with eachother of how these callings have changed our lives for the better..Love ya...and yep I finally got my blog page goin..still tryin to figure out stuff, but it's been FUN!!! Talk to ya soon....

Lyla And Company! said...

Kat, I tried to leave a comment on your page...but couldn't...

Anonymous said...

Well I never had that calling but I do have a calling now and its for the young men...That alone is hard for me....I can't even imagine how hard yours is though...But just remember the lord never gives us things that are too hard for us to handle...But sometimes it sure feels like it.

Sunni said...

Dude, I'm right there with you. I would rather be gospel doctrine teacher, relief society president, nursury leader, primary president, ANYTHING, but lead the music in sacrament meeting. Isn't that silly? That is the calling I dread the most getting, which means,it will probably be my next one. It's all about growing and there's nothin like being out of your comfort zone to force growth. I think it's great though that you haven't asked to be released. You're no stranger to doing hard things.